STOREFRONT 2.5 UPGRADE from 2.1 – Notes
We were running Storefront 2.1. It was installed and working fine for all normal storefront web and support for SSON legacy clients with a 2 node storefront farm via a load balanced netscaler setup.
We decided to install the Storefront 2.5 over the top – just to see how it would behave. We downloaded the new version, took a server snapshot, and then ran the install as administrator.
First and foremost its identical to the 2.1 installation and actually looks like brand new install. During the install it mentions nothing upgrading, just simply installs and takes a good 20 minutes, with little in the way of feedback along the way.
The following problems were experienced after the upgrade of our Storefront servers.
- Clients can no longer SSON through the PNAgent
- Storefront webpage only displaying 1 of the 2 delivery controllers configured. (legacy xenapp 4.5, nothing from xenapp 6.5)
We ended up wiping the store configuration entirely and starting again.
No amount of changing or disabling and reenabling the existing store would work, and its not like its that difficult to recreate the same site with the same name. This would be frustrating if we had many multiple stores.
All testing was carried out without the netscalers or the LB services. This was to be sure it wasn’t adding its own complexities or problems to the setup.
During testing the local hosts file was updated so I could be sure I was targeting the individual storefront servers I was upgrading at the time.
Further details / Troubleshooting steps.
Tried Reboot – didnt fix
Tried the PS Script to enable SSON for legacy – didnt fix
Checked the settings for the legacy clients – it was enabled and store correctly listed
Disabled legacy support
Re-enabled Legacy support (without SSON)
Online Legacy client prompts for user and password, could authenticate successfully only displaying the legacy 4.5 apps from one of two delivery controllers listed.
Run powershell command as administrator on the Storefront server
& “C:Program FilesCitrixReceiver StoreFrontScriptsEnablePnaForStore.ps1” -SiteID 1 -ResourcesVirtualPath /Citrix/Store -LogonMethod sson – to re enable the legacy SSON
Legacy clients get error messages popup saying its authenticating,
Then the server could not be contacted.
Then magically refreshes a 3rd time and just logs in anyway!?
Removed XENAPP65 Delivery controller and readded settings for 2 ZDC’s – Didnt work
Added just one of the ZDC’s as an IP address – still not working, website now slower and authentication takes twice as long.
Removing store entirely.
Readded the store entirely, connected XA65 first and tested – both website and PNAGENT Legacy worked (once again running the Powershell PNAgent command
& “C:Program FilesCitrixReceiver StoreFrontScriptsEnablePnaForStore.ps1” -SiteID 1 -ResourcesVirtualPath /Citrix/Store -LogonMethod sson
If the client had connected while the authentication method was reset you will see
It logged in! Success!
Propogate changes to the other server (also just upgraded) – DONE.
Piece of cake… *ahem*